HISTORY OF COSTUME SERIES
This series of dolls in authentic English period costume was the starting point of my business and was only in later years overtaken by the dolls house dolls featured in previous pages. Like their smaller cousins, they are completely original pieces of work, made from cotton stockinette over a wire frame, with moulded heads and hand painted features. Unlike the twelfth scalers, however, they are not meant to be posed or 'played with' and some are permanently fixed to their own hand turned wooden bases, made from reclaimed timber. However, these bases are now gradually being phased out and the dolls made free-standing. Only dolls shown with bases still in stock will be supplied with them from here on.
The scale of these dolls is approximately one eighth. Not counting the bases, the children stand about 6 inches (15cm) high, the ladies about 8 inches (20 cm) and the gentlemen about 9 inches (23cm). Including bases, hats and hair-do's they can be a maximum of 10 1/2 inches (27cm) high. If you especially require a doll in this size to be posed, seated for example, it will need to be made to order, but can be done. A number of my little people have gone to model makers for travelling in some very fine vessels.
As you will see, the whole collection builds up into a fair summary of the history of English costume and can be a useful source of reference for teachers and students. It is important to note, however, that the dolls in this range represent only the wealthy and leisured classes, as they were the trend setters of their day.
Each doll bears a fabric label, dated with its year of making. When dolls are marked as being in stock you will receive the actual doll pictured here.
Prices are from £46 to £80, plus £8.50 per order for postage within UK.
Look out for my SALE (with prices highlighted like this) of some dolls at reduced price. Numbers are limited, so it will be first comers for the bargains.
I have decided to retire the children in this series and offer the last ones remaining in stock free of charge if ordered at the same time as one of their 'parents'
Please note that these dolls are not suitable for children and are an adult collector's item only.
Below is a copy of the Care Notes that I enclose with every doll sold. It may help to answer questions about their use.
for choosing aTeresa Thompson Costume Cavalcade doll for your collection.
I hope it will give you many years of pleasure. Here are a few points that may help:-
1. Most importantly remember that this is a collector’s item, not a toy and should not be given to children under 14 years of age.
2. The figure is fixed to the wooden base(where provided) and should not be removed.
3. Although the doll is wired it is not intended to be posed. Any wire will eventually break if repeatedly bent back and forth in the same place.
4. The entire doll is made from fabric but is not washable. It should be protected from sunlight, dust and damp.
5. Costumes are fixed in place and are not removable.
6. This is not the correct size for a dolls house. A full range of dolls in one twelfth scale is available for that purpose. See my website or ask if you would like to receive a list.
7. If you have any problems, do not hesitate to contact me.
Finally, if you are dissatisfied with a doll for any reason you may return it to me within 14 days for refund or replacement.
Next Contents Contact me Home